Helmand army corps disarmed and dismantled

Kandahar, January 27, 2005 - An army corps has been disarmed and dismantled in southwestern Helmand province as part of the nationwide disarmament program.

Abdul Aziz Ahmad, an official of the regional office of the Disarmament Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) program in the southern zone, said that the Infantry Army Corps No. 93, which had two battalions in the capital city of Lashkargah and two battalions in Garishk district, had been disarmed and dismantled.

"Three hundred people have returned to civilian life from this corps which gave up 200 light weapons and 40 pieces of heavy weaponry," Ahmad said, promising that the disarmed men would be provided with jobs and vocational training.

He added that disarmament of the No. 2 Army Corps along with its divisions and brigades in the southern zone would be completed by February 3. So far, 2,400 soldiers and military officers have been disarmed in five southern provinces, including Helmand, Oruzgan, Zabul, Kandahar and Nimruz.