English | 日本語
Luxembourg assures continued support for Afghanistan
Kabul, June 2, 2007 (Pajhwok Afghan News): Luxemburg has reiterated its continued support for reconstruction activities in Afghanistan.
The assurance came during a meeting between Defence Minister of that country Jean-Louis Schiltz and his Afghan counterpart Abdul Rahim Wardak here on Saturday.
Briefing journalists on the meeting, Defence Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Zahir said the visiting dignitary assured of his country's continued support to Afghanistan.
The two ministers discussed security situation and reconstruction activities in the country, said the spokesman, who added Luxembourg would continue assisting Afghanistan on the two fronts.
Accompanied by a senior-level delegation, Louis Schiltz also met his country's soldiers. Luxemburg has contributed 10 soldiers for the NATO's peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, an agreement, under which Luxembourg will provide $1.4 million to the Afghan government to help reduce mortality rate among women, was also signed on Saturday.
Minister for Public Health Dr Muhammad Amin Fatimi and Defence Minister Jean-Louis Schiltz inked the agreement.
Speaking to journalist, Fatimi said the amount would be spent in the remote Dai Kundi, Faryab and Badakhshan provinces.
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) had also provided $200,000 for the purpose in those provinces, the minister informed.
Luxembourg had pledged seven million US dollars for reconstruction in Afghanistan so far.